Kingdom Talk with Dr. Kay
In order for us to keep our purpose would imply that we already have a purpose. There are numerous self help books in book stores today which address the subject of finding ones purpose. Rick Warren’s book, The Purpose Driven Life,” asks the question, “What on Earth Am I Here For?” He begins by saying that “WE” are not an accident! Even before the universe was created, God had “US” in mind. Self help books often suggest that we try to discover the meaning and purpose of our life by looking within ourselves, but Warren says that’s the wrong place to start. We must begin with God, our Creator, and His reasons for creating us. We were made by God and for God, and until we understand that, life will never make any sense. So we were created with a purpose, and in order to keep our purpose we must first understand that we were created by God and for HIS purpose.
Rev. Dr. Kay Porter-St. Matthew AME Church
purpose. We should not ask God, “Lord what is my purpose?” The question should be, “Lord what is Your purpose for me?” Now, wouldn’t it just be great that since God already knows what He wants us to do for Him, and then He tells us what it is that He wants us to do, then we should automatically do it, right? In a perfect world maybe, but you and I both know that’s not how it works. What we do know is that God created each of us with a special purpose and once we know what our purpose is we must protect it, stay focused upon it, and not allow anything or anybody to stand in our way of achieving it.
God always keeps His promise to us and He is faithful in fulfilling the purpose that He created in each of us. It is our responsibility to trust Him and to strive to bring it into fruition. Phil. 1:6 (NKJV) says, “Being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.”
I would like to share three things that can help you in “Keeping Your Life’s Purpose.
1. Don’t let anyone steal your dream; protect what God has promised you. As soon as you know what God’s will is for your life be careful of whom you decide to share it with. It is only natural for you to want to share your dream with the people that are closest to you but sometimes that’s not in your best interest. You can’t share your dream with just anybody, you must ask God to give you the ability to discern who to trust and who not to trust as you strive to fulfill your destiny, protect yourself.
2. Don’t let anyone change your dream, stay focused, keep your eye on the prize, because sometimes people will try to create a smoke screen that will hinder your ability to have a clear vision of your purpose. God has already made your dream crystal clear and all of a sudden, you have so many things pulling at you and so many things being thrown upon you that your vision becomes impaired and sometimes you even forget what God has told you to do in the first place, stay focused.
3. Don’t let anyone stop your dream, which is another way of saying don’t let anyone or anything keep you from fulfilling your dream. There will be obstacles, there will be road blocks there will be speed bumps to try to slow you down but the race is not given to the swift or to the strong but to the one who endures to the very end. Never give up and never stop trying, keep on trying until to reach your destiny, don’t stop!
The last thing that I would like to share with you in “keeping your life’s purpose” is to watch out for “dream stealers.” “Dream stealers” are people who try to cause you to abort your dreams once you have conceived them. As soon as God has confirmed what it is that He has for your life and as soon as you have the confidence to see it through, here comes the nay sayers telling you something contrary to what God has already told you. Always remember that whenever God gives you a Word He will send a man or woman of God who will confirm His Word.
2. Look out for people who try to change you into something that you were never intended to be. It is important that you are confident in knowing who you are because if you don’t know there are people out there who are more than happy to make up something for you. When you are confident in knowing who you are you don’t need to prove who you are to anybody.
3. Look out for people who latch on to your dreams because they don’t have a dream of their own. Once God has fulfilled your dream in your life and you have gone from “great” to “greater” beware of those who once treated you as though you were invisible and had no value, and all of a sudden you are amazed at how they go out of their way to get your attention. Don’t seek revenge, always take the high road and love them anyway.
This is “Kingdom Talk with Dr. K”